CAREERS > SOLO DRIVERS
What our drivers are saying
"This is my 3rd year at SM Freight. Driving new, safe equipment, friendly dispatch, family style atmosphere and routes to satisfy all kinds of drivers’ appetites, what more could you ask for?"
RON: SM FREIGHT SOLO DRIVER
Solo Drivers have the potential to earn up to $.52 cents per mile ($.44 base rate) PLUS:
- $20.00 paid for loading and unloading – unless at same location where a $30.00 flat rate will be paid
- $8.50 paid for border crossings both into the U.S. & Canada providing drivers have a valid FAST card
- $8.50 paid for trailer washes (outside provider – Blue Beacon, etc.)
- $20.00 paid for Meat Inspections
- $18.00 per hour paid for any detention time after 2 hours – Includes time at customers, loading or unloading, time spent at Customs, Meat Inspections, breakdowns, etc.
- $105.00 paid layovers (drivers must have hours of service available within the 24 hour period to be eligible for layover pay)
- $175.00 premium paid to drivers that deliver loads into NYC, all the Burroughs and Long Island NY
- $500.00 Orientation / Transition Bonus to be paid on next pay settlement
- Pay is every two weeks by direct deposit
- Full comprehensive benefit package is available to drivers completing the 90 day probationary period
- After 90 days we offer a GRSP program (Group Registered Savings Plan) for drivers to participate in, and after 1 year of service there is a DPSP program (Deferred Profit Sharing Plan) where the company will match contributions
- Qualcomm satellites are in every truck for communication between the drivers and dispatch and are equipped for E-logs (eliminates the use of cell phones as a form of communication except in cases of emergency)
- Rider program available – Passenger must sign a waiver and be FAST approved (no children)
Please note: The above base mileage rate is dependent on the driver having at least 6 months verifiable OTR experience. Slightly lower mileage rates will apply to those who are new to the industry up to 1 year of experience. A graduated base rate will apply.
Dedicated units – no “slip seating”
Fleet consists of 2015 and newer power units with both manual and automatic transmissions, with added amenities including Company paid satellite radio to aid in driver comfort while on the road.