CAREERS > SOLO DRIVERS
What our drivers are saying
"This is my 3rd year at SM Freight. Driving new, safe equipment, friendly dispatch, family style atmosphere and routes to satisfy all kinds of drivers’ appetites, what more could you ask for?"
RON: SM FREIGHT SOLO DRIVER
SOLO DRIVERS CAN EARN UP TO $0.60+/MILE (VANS/REEFERS) & UP TO $0.70+/MILE (FLATBED) PLUS:
- $25.00 paid for loading and unloading (vans & reefers) – $35.00 flat rate for same location
- $8.50 paid for border crossings both into the U.S. & Canada providing drivers have a valid FAST card
- $20.00 paid for trailer washout (outside provider – Blue Beacon, etc.)
- $25.00 paid hourly after 2 hours for Meat Inspections
- $25.00 Hazmat / TDG premium per trip
- $18.00 per hour paid for any detention time after 2 hours – Includes time at customers, loading or unloading, time spent at Customs, Meat Inspections, breakdowns, etc.
- $125.00 paid layovers (drivers must have hours of service available within the 24 hour period to be eligible for layover pay)
- $175.00 premium paid to drivers that deliver loads into NYC, all the Burroughs and Long Island NY
- $15.00 per hour for Training, Information & Communication sessions
- $18.00 per hour full-time dedicated regional rate (vans / reefers: minimal starting base)
- $19.00 per hour full-time dedicated regional rate (flatbeds: minimal starting base)
- $100.00 annual reimbursement (local & flatbed highway) for CSA certified footwear
- $100.00 bi-annual reimbursement (van & reefer highway) for CSA certified footwear
- Pay is every two weeks by direct deposit
- Full comprehensive benefit package is available to drivers completing the 90 day probationary period
- After 90 days we offer a GRSP program (Group Registered Savings Plan) and after 1 year of service there is a DPSP program (Deferred Profit Sharing Plan)
- Qualcomm satellites in every truck for communication between the drivers and dispatch and are equipped for E-logs
- Rider program available – Passenger must sign a waiver and be FAST approved (no children)
- Annual safety and performance awards, assistance and reimbursement for FAST card applications and more!
Solo – International Highway Driver Base Rates
- $0.48 per mile Long Haul - Minimum 2 years’ experience
- $0.04 per mile Short-haul Premium – Reefer only (0 to 800 miles per round trip, excludes hourly based drivers – dedicated lanes) *Applies to minimum 1 years’ experience and up
- $0.46 per mile – Under 2 years’ experience
- $0.42 per mile – Solo – under 1 year experience
- $0.52 per mile – Solo (Flatbed) – Minimum 2 years’ experience
DEDICATED UNITS – NO “SLIP SEATING”
Fleet consists of 2015 and newer power units with both manual and automatic transmissions, with added amenities including company paid satellite radio to aid in driver comfort while on the road.